Monday, July 23, 2012

More of What I have Learned

Love this cow

I am learning more about the culture here each day. If someone tells you something or they ask you something, the answer could be totally opposite from one moment to the next.  An example of the culture here is that most teachers aren’t on time. The bell will ring and I am standing waiting for the teacher to go to the classroom (I do not go without them, because they will not come at all… another lesson learned!!). I have also learned that the poor part of the community just strives to do everyday tasks with what they have. But the rich part of the community strives to be what they are not. Since coming to Azerbaijan, I have lived with both extremes. Though the comforts of the richer family is wonderful and very much appreciate, I am not sure which is more challenging. The poor family needs the money, simple fact and you understand that living with them, it will help them financially and you know your needs will be met somewhat. The rich family doesn’t need the money but they want the status of an American living with them. The problem with this is that the American IS living with them. In my Aliabad host family I felt like a puppy all cute and sweet for about a week and then put  outside because they became tired or bored. I believe this wasn’t thought through by the host family. The American will be living with them for two years, not two weeks. This was a hard situation. It worked itself out, I am finally on my own and I now have peace. The generation that is growing up now whether poor or rich has more opportunities, which is a plus but what they do with it without direction or structure of right and wrong, how can they move forward, they will only become spoil or confused.

I've also learned that you should not over stay your welcome when visiting site volunteers.... 3 - 5 days is enough unless you are extremely close with that volunteer. I've learned that when someone  lives in a host family they do not understand the cost of food or that you are sharing coffee from home (you can't go to Trader's Joe's or Starbucks and buy more). So if you run out (either food or coffee) it is not a concern for them.  I've learned that I like being by myself as it is quiet because Azerbaijani's likes everything loud, talking to each other loud, watching television loud and listening to music loud, they want EVERYONE to hear!!

I've learned that instead of sending YD & CD's (youth and community development) volunteers here (as most of this group teach English), they should be sending Engineers to teach the people how to build sewage systems, roads and insulated houses for the winter and summers. Water and waste management technicians and environmental control engineers (they whack, I mean whack 300 year old trees in this town without concern, I watched and cried  when they were chopping them down. And the trash they dump everywhere is a sight for sore eyes). 

We are not permitted to drive but are allowed to take marshurutka's that are dangerous with bald tires, crack windows, no heating or air conditioning, driving speeds way pass the limits (if there is a speed limit!!) and passing vehicles with oncoming traffic.  Yesterday, we went to Gax and the bridge was closed for repairs so the marshurutka driver goes down to the river to cross.  My heart stopped as we watched several cars get stuck in the rushing river.  We made it across but I tell you I was a little (okay a lot) nervous about it. I loved that our safety officer always said "stay safe" and I am thinking, yea right, you take the marshurutka's and see if we are safe!!

When I am asked by people why would you want to come here and make so little money and commit to 2 years on top of that, plus being away from family and friends and leaving a position that had benefits and a good retirement? My answer (and many of you know it) is that you have to get out of your comfort zone in order to grow and appreciate the privilege of what we as Americans are blessed with.  For me, it is about giving back, just a little compared to what I have been given. And if I do make a small difference and at the end and I hear “good job”! I know that it was a blessing from God!

Life Challenge: We are not human beings having a spiritual experience, we are spiritual being having a human experience.... Pierre Teilhald de Chardin

No comments:

Post a Comment