Friday, August 15, 2014

The Land Down Under - Australia

My favorite bird 
Well, I made it to Melbourne and my hostel was right in the middle of the city very close to the bus and train station. A five minute walk after taking the bus to the city and I didn’t get lost!!  The weather is much cooler here around 50 degrees. After checking in, I set up a couple of tours.  I just walked around the first day and found a grocery store and bought a few supplies.  It is very expensive here so I will be making most meals.  But it has been nice to hear English a lot and it is not so crowded, no one pushing you out of the way. Yesterday I went on the Great Beach Road and Rain forest tour and guess what it was on the Pacific Ocean, it reminded me of home and I am finally looking forward to going back to California.  It was very cold but beautiful. I am glad I kept my cold weather clothes from Mt. Fuji!! The tour stopped at several places along the way and I saw a couple Koalas in a tree (they were very high up) but the interesting part at this site was all of the parrots that are hanging out and when they see you eating cookies they would fly on your arms and want to be your best friend and then grab that cookie right out of your hand and then jump on your shoulder and start eating it getting crumbs all over you!!  But oh they are so cute!!   The tour took the coast road (kind of like our coast road in California) and he stopped at 12 Apostles (as they were called).  These formations are actually part of the coast but as time went by with the water and wind they broke away and became singular formations.  So they were called at one time pig and piglets, but now it is the 12 Apostles (I guess they change it as it is a better attraction name).  We stopped for lunch and I had BBQ fish, and it was really good.  After lunch the tour went to several more spots on the ocean shore (and also the Rain forest) and our final stop was London Bridge. I think that this was name because part of it fell down.  The story goes that a lot of people would walk out on this rock “bridge” to the small island at the end but one day a big chunk just broke off and fell into the ocean leaving two girls stranded on the island where they needed a helicopter to rescue them. So now you see it from a distance and the area is closed to the public.  Here are some pictures:

Beach on the Road

Parrots

Another view of the beach

They took my cookies!!

Tree in the rain forest


Beautiful beach

Part of the 12 Apostles

Cove on the beach

12 Apostles

London Bridge

Another view so beautiful

Beaches clean and beautiful
Koala 

More of the shore line

Life Challenges: You are only given a little spark of madness... You mustn't lose it... Robin Williams

No comments:

Post a Comment