Monday, August 3, 2020

Deadwood, South Dakota, Sturgis and Motorcycles, and backing down a hill!

I left Walmart in Spearfish this morning and headed to Deadwood.  My sister told me about Deadwood and I promised her I would stop by on my way to Mount Rushmore.  Well, to my surprise, August 6-17 is the Motorcycles ran at Sturgis which is just a few miles from Deadwood.  Today is August 2nd and apparently, they gather in Deadwood for days before the “Big” run in Sturgis.  I read up a little and the motorcycles reunion every year brings out 500,000 motorcycles riders and that’s not counting their partners on the back!  They come from all over and most of them are NOT wearing helmets let alone face coverings. I’m at a campsite about 20 miles from Deadwood and I see the motorcycles riding into Deadwood. A lot of these guys are my age and shouldn’t be on the motorcycle in the first place, but I guess they are trying to relive their younger days.  I parked at the visitor center (the only place where an RV would fit), and Priscilla and my face mask walked the whole historic downtown.  There must have been a thousand bikes parked in downtown from all over.  The town is known for Wild Bill Hickock and Calamity Jane. Had some fun old buildings and signs.  It took us about an hour to walk the whole area and we ended up in Outlaw Park where the person who killed Hickock was hung.  They had a wooden casket in a buck board buggy that I put Priscilla in and took her picture (see below).

Oh yeah, I almost forgot as I was leaving Deadwood for this campsite, my GPS gave me wrong direction, going up a hill and a sign that said road close!  Got pass these cars and a semi and realized I couldn’t go any further. Oh no, I have to go back down and I can’t turn around. I just started backing up very slowly, a couple came out of their house and just started yelling at me.  I apologize to them and apparently the semi belongs to husband because he said don’t hit my truck. I tried to explain my GPS gave me the wrong directions but they didn’t care nor did they ask if they could help.  I slowly back down around the semi, and cars, there was no driveway to turn around so I just kept my foot on the brake and slowly backed all the way down! Let me tell you, I prayed the whole time. My foot was hard on that brake and it held, the hill was steep, but I was able to back down without hitting anything or anyone!  In all my travels, I never had felt this much negativity, anger and meanness from people as it has been this trip.  I see people with all their toys and they are just not happy.  Most people are rude or just not nice.  When I have travel in Europe (1997), Asia, Israel, Australia & Japan (2014) and across US in 2005 people were always very helpful and kind, not this trip at all.  I am really sad to see that.










No comments:

Post a Comment