Wednesday, November 28, 2012

New Gang in the Hood

Out goes our PCV's AZ 8's in comes our new PCV's AZ 10, I am a AZ 9 half way there so to speak.  Site visits were last weekend for the new volunteers.  Zaqatala is getting one out in the village of Danschi (40 minutes from here) and she is a CD (community development).  In Balaken, we are getting two TEFL's and one YD (youth development) basically replacing the volunteers that were here before. Once they are sworn in (December 9) this will be their permanent home for two years.  I was excited as I was going to have the TEFL's over for lunch.  I made vegetarian chili with added green beans and pasta and shredded cheese and sour cream.  After preparing this I get a call, cancel as PC staff doesn't want them to leave their community.  Why weren't we told this when we were called and asked to welcome them, very frustrating and very typical. So my site mate and I got on the Balaken marsh and went to visit them.  It was a good visit and we got home before dark. Then I received an e-mail from security at PC and we need to have our local registration ID renew within 2 days.  Okay, it has been expired since the end of September, so now we have to renew it in 2 days... Yea right.. Here is what we have to do.  Two photo passport size and then our host family or in my case my landlord has to take documents that states ownership of the property (notarized I might add) of where I am living to the police station with me. Let me tell you with my language skills, this is NO easy task. Fortunately, our security wrote this letter in Azerbaijani as well.  Mission one, to get my photo taken.  Went to the photo shop, took out my passport and show them my picture and the size, 10 minutes later walked out with 8 photo 2 different sizes. Whew, mission one accomplished.  Now my friend who speaks English spoke with my landlord (who doesn't speak English) and read the letter her.  When do you need this done, ah.. tomorrow!! Well, my landlord said I have family that works in the police department, meet me in front at 9 AM and we will take care of it.  Now every volunteer I spoke with told me it has taken anywhere from 2 hours to 6 hours to get this done.  So I am thinking at least 2 hours oh joy.  The next morning I meet my landlord 9 AM sharp and we walked into the police station office, they talked a while and then he took us to another room to make copies of my passport and my landlords documents and then back to his office.  He looked at me and told me in English come back in 5 days your Registration ID will be ready.  It took all of 20 minutes to complete this mission and I walked out just shaking my head.  God was in a good mood this morning because everything fell into place.

Life Challenge: Success is often the result of taking a misstep in the right direction... Al Bernstein

No comments:

Post a Comment