Saturday, November 10, 2012

Zift Market or Shopping in the Hood

Zift "Super" Market
 
I found the most up to date "super" market in my neighborhood that has become my favorite place to go grocery shopping. I go to the Bazaar to buy fruits and vegetables (my market does not sell fruits or vegetables) and this week at the Bazaar, school books as well (because my school did not have extra books, so I bought them to use and when I leave give them to the students who need a book).  I need these books to help lesson plan with the teachers. But back to my "super" market story, believe me it is not like home, for example we have one type of yogurt and if we run out, it maybe replenish in a week or two or three. But what I like about this market is that all foods are marked with the price and the cash register is computerized, so I can see if I am being charged correctly (and I have not been overcharged by that market ever).  Not like the smaller markets, where you have to asked the price for everything and then they "may" add it on their 10 key or like me being a foreigner they may add an extra cost and some do, but with my limited language skills, I cannot argue with them but I do not return to that store again.  An another example of this is that the corner veggie and fruit man, I asked him the price of potatoes and he told me twice the amount of the cost  that is at the bazaar or other vegetable markets. I know the cost of most things because I buy them constantly and I am on a tight budget, so I may not know the language well, but I do know when someone is trying to cheat me!! On the other hand, a women that sells fruits and veggies outside in front of her house (she grows them herself), her prices are very reasonable, so I buy from her when I can't get to the bazaar. At the Bazaar it is challenging as it is so big and there is a lot of people.  I get stared at quite a bit so I feel uncomfortable going there, a few vendors know me and always greet me with a smile and ask (every time) if I speak Russian!! But I do have one vendor at the Bazaar that I go to all the time, she is very kind to me.  At my market, I have even found one of the cashier that speak a little English, so when I was at the market last, I asked to take some photos and he said "no problem",  so here are pictures of my favorite Zift Market.

 
Soap section notice Tide on your right

Eggs, cheese and I'm not sure what so I don't buy!!

Updated weather report in Zaqatala:  It has been raining for 3 days, and they predict it will continue to rain for 5 more days (oh joy), so I am wearing layer 1!!

Life Challenge: You must be the change you wish to see in the world... Mahatma Gandhi

No comments:

Post a Comment