Tuesday, December 31, 2013

HAPPY NEW YEAR 2014

Wow, where has the time gone.  I have been in Azerbaijan since September 2011, my 3rd winter (what was I thinking!!).  I wish everyone a very HAPPY NEW YEAR and may all your wishes and resolution's come true.  May all your adventures surpass all the ones before.... My resolution for 2014 is to get through this winter without freezing!! My adventure this year when I finish Peace Corps in June is to ride the Siberian train from Moscow to China, let see if I can pull it off.  I wanted to take the bus from here (Zaqatala) to Moscow (they run a couple times a week) but I found out because I am American and it goes through Chechnya I cannot take a bus, I must fly into Moscow or St. Petersburg.   But I am getting ahead of myself, first I must get the visa's for Russia and China if I can.  I will keep you posted.

Of course Jerome will come with me on my road trip!
Since the winter has set in and the days are colder, I've made some adjustments.  I no longer prepare my meals in the kitchen as it is just too cold (and I have to come in and warm my hands over pech because they are freezing!). I brought most everything into my living room and prepare my meals in there.  Then I will use my pech either before or after to keep the food warm or to slow cook food.  If I put something on the stove or in the oven outside, I turn on the timer as I usually get busy and then forget about it  and the food burns (done it; so far I have burned rice, popcorn and pumpkin pie!!).  Every time I change my sheets I try to adjust the padding to make my bed more comfortable (so far, no such luck).  I sure miss my bed back home!! My most difficult challenge is taking a shower.  This is a double edge sword, I love showers but it is so cold, I must prepare for it.  I get all my clean clothes near the pech to warm up.  I change into the least amount of clothes and bring my towel and shampoo into the shower (I must keep the shampoo and conditioner in my room or it is just too cold to put on my hair). Then I set everything up in the bathroom and then run upstairs to turn on the pump.  I let the water run until it get hot and then turn on the shower, let the room steam and get warm (oh, the light switch is in another room, I have to turn that on from the outside!). Since I don't have a flushing toilet, this is an opportunity to really flush the toilet, you see I keep a tub in there and catch the water from the shower and then throw it down the toilet and then I keep the last tub for flashing later. After I shower, I keep the water on so I can dry myself somewhat, then put my shoes on and once I turn off the water, I run like hell back to my room near the pech!!  I am exhausted after that (but at least I'm clean)...

Life Challenge: Spring is nature's way of saying "Let's Party!" can't wait!!!! ..... Robin Williams




No comments:

Post a Comment