Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Merry Christmas 2013

My Christmas Corner

Boy, my students will be glad when this year has ended.  They have a difficult time with the "th" sound. they need to stick their tongues out quickly to make the sound and when I show them how it is done (in slow motion), they just laugh at me.  So 2013 will be out and 2014 will be easier to say.  They want to change "Th"ursday too!!  No can do...I tell them this is the ONLY time that they can stick their tongues out at the teacher (again they laugh go figure!!).

 I pray that EVERYONE has a Merry Christmas and that it is full of joy and love!!! Do I get love and joy? No, I get snow and cold (see pictures below) and when I didn't think anything else could possible go wrong living here, it does.  When I rented this place, they promised me so much, but didn't do one thing.  When I needed something done, I did it myself.  I talked about the "pump" in previous blogs and I kept telling my landlady that it will be a problem later on if it wasn't fixed.  Well, it finally broke and the pipes froze (I should have figure that one out!!). It would have been a simple fix if they had wrapped the pipes in the summer (duh).  I had no water for three days (I was told "WE NEVER RUN OUT OF WATER") and then when they finally got the pump fixed (it was me nagging every day) we had NO HOT water as those pipes were still frozen.  Fortunately, my friends at Ag Saray let me showered at their house (which by the way was so warm, I almost didn't leave the bathroom!!).  I didn't mentioned this to my landlady or else she would have never fixed the pump or the pipes!  This month has certainly been a challenge for me as everyone knows (I have said it enough times) I hate snow and I hate being cold.  And it is so much worst when I have to go out in it.  It takes so much longer in the mornings to get dress as I have to layer and what I just want to do is jump back into bed (even though the bed is so uncomfortable I got a pinched nerve in my back from it) but at least it is warm (I added a sleeping bag which helps a lot).  I cook in the afternoon as it is just too cold in the morning or at night (my stove is still outside I was promised they would move it into the kitchen).  I have been downloading a lot of Christmas movies from the Hallmark Channel and I am just trying to stay positive.  I really enjoy the conversation clubs as these are the students and young adults that want to learn English and they make the effort to be there each and every week.  On the other hand, my counterparts make every excuse possible not to show up and that is frustrating.  You think that they would want to help their community and not let a foreigner do it.  I think it is because they are not getting paid and this is a country where they NEVER do anything for free.  I am hoping to train some of these older students to start teaching, maybe that is where the skill will be transferred, certainly not to my counterparts as they hardly ever show up.

I had to teach today (Christmas Day) but next week I will have the week off, so my goal is to spend as much time by the pech and just watch movies or read, eat popcorn and drink coffee and stay warm.  If  I don't have to go out in this weather I won't.  Oh, and I have enough tuna fish to last me until I leave (plus I just got the SUPER size bag of Cheetos).... hmmmm my holiday is going to be fun.
My back yard

It is as cold as it looks!!!

yep, cold

Life Challenge:  If you cannot get rid of the family skeleton, you may as well make it dance.  George Bernard Shaw





No comments:

Post a Comment