Thursday, February 6, 2014

Winter Blast

Well, I thought I was lucky, here it was February 1 and the winter was coming to an end and not too bad... But I think God was just messing with me because on February 1 we had heavy snow for three days.  And the temperature was down in single digits.  It was too cold to take a shower here so I went to my friends home and took one there.  The bathroom was so warm, I wanted to live in it!!! I thought it would be just temporary taking a shower at my friends.  Our pipes froze and we were without water for  four days until I started complaining how unhealthy that was (I could not flush water down the toilet).  When I threatened that I would have to move, then they figure it out, they knocked a hole in the ice in the well and at least we got water by pouring it into to buckets.  But the pipes are still frozen so that means no hot or running water.  It has now been a week, the temperature is rising but the pipes are still frozen.  I have asked a friend if he could come over and help unfreeze these pipes. He came by but told me nothing can be done, maybe by tomorrow if it keeps getting warmer.  The forecast for today is 37 and tomorrow 44 degrees. So keep your fingers cross!!! I find here that nothing is prepared beforehand, they feel they will only be cold for a few days and then it will be okay.  Instead of doing something in the summer, when the weather is warm, they make excuses. I mentioned when I first moved in and notice the pipes, they should be wrapped.  I was ignored and now the pipes are frozen solid.  I can't use the kitchen as it is just too cold.  So I have brought in most things to cook in my room.  In my second room where I don't have the pech it is pretty cold. I put my food in there and I have had to move the olive oil to the room with the pech because it freezes in that room.  That is cold, the good news nothings spoils (if that is good news)!!!  I was given a frozen chicken and left it out in the kitchen to thaw and after 3 days when it was still frozen solid, I had to bring it inside in my second room for two days before I was able to cut it up and cook it.  I am sorry, I just can't imagine purposely living in this environment.  I will NEVER complain about winters in California again.  I could NEVER live in this type of cold weather back home!! Then on top of that, the "gas" company turns off the gas about once a week (who does that in the cold weather)!!! And to add to that I have a another cold (my 5th one since school started) and I just can't get rid of this cough!!  When I go to Baku this month, I will definitely see the doctor and maybe gets some heavy duty medicine to fight it.  It has been so cold in the morning that I have waited until second period to go to school.  And when this cough gets really bad, I been staying home trying to get better. The positive is that I am reading a lot and seeing lots of movies in bed under my covers. The negative is that it is depressing.  I tried to keep my spirits up I found squash and spinach at the market and my friend sent me Mole for chicken, so I had chicken Mole and squash for dinner last night. 


I guess that is enough complaining about the weather!!! Oh, did I say I HATE winter (sorry last time), and I only have 4 months left before the end of my service. And hopefully only one more month of winter!!!  I am planning my Russia, Asia and Australia trip, so I am getting excited about that.  I pray I can find good homes for the cats or at least the volunteer who stays here can take care of them.  Everything will work out.


Life Challenge: Life is a song-sing it... Life is a game-play it...Life is a challenge-meet it... Life is a dream-realize it.. Life is a sacrifice-offer it.... Life is love-enjoy it....   Sai Baba 

3 comments:

  1. This winter has been terrible for everybody, but after finding out that you actually asked people to do preventive maintenance but was ignored, I understand why you might have been a bit more frustrated. Let's see if they can work around the issue during the warmer months to prevent things like this from happening again.
    Jimmy Depetris @ A1Plumbers.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you don’t have to deal with frozen pipes this winter. As if the extreme temperature isn’t enough, you’ve got to deal with household pet peeves that this weather brings. Add to that are those company services who are supposed to take care of these problems, but don’t respond in a timely manner. Well, let’s hope the cold season will be kinder to everyone this time.

    Martha Ward @ Son-Rise Plumbing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang in there, Annette! I'm sure everything will eventually work out. Just think of these household nuisances during winter as a challenging part of your adventure. Anyway, I like how you concluded your train of thought, with you still seeing the silver lining of the whole thing. I hope everything is alright now. Good day!

    Brett Rogers @ Flame Furnace

    ReplyDelete