Tuesday, August 18, 2020

Highway 50, Petroglyphs and HOT weather

 

My visit was wonderful, so it is time to move on.  My daughter told me about a couple of places to see and stay driving on Highway 50.  The first was Hickison Summit, it’s about ½ through 50 and it is a National Forest Campsite so free camping. What was cool was a self-guided tour trail of petroglyphs.  As soon as I got there, I took Priscilla for a walk and looked for petroglyphs.  Not much out there, but a good walk and a nice and safe area to camp.  The next day I drove the remaining of Highway 50 to Grimes Archaeological Area where they had several rocks with petroglyphs.  Also, a self-guided tour, but it was so hot, almost 100 degrees, I didn’t stay long. When I walked Priscilla, she almost (I said almost!) ran back to the RV! I fixed something to eat for all of us and I called a campsite just outside of Fernley about 30 minutes from Reno and got a campsite for the night. My pets were happy to have ac!  I did some wash, and took a nice long hot shower.  After I fixed dinner I watch a thunder and lightning storm roll in. It was extremely windy and I was glad I was at the campsite; it was a little scary!

The next morning, I received a text from my granddaughter and asked if we can meet in a couple of hours. No problem, I was about 40 minutes away, but I needed to do housekeeping, walk Priscilla, empty garbage, do the dump thing, fill fresh water, got it all done and was on the road.  I got to the Park before them, whew!  We had a wonderful visit, caught up on everything.  Just so proud of her, and my great granddaughter Kora, is just so cute, sweet, and so very smart. I am so blessed! Once our visit was over, I was looking for another campsite but they are full.  So I stopped at Donner Pass rest stop were it will top out at 85 degrees.  I stayed  the night because driving closer to Sacramento, then we are talking about over 100 degrees. Donner Pass was wonderful, I could smell the Pines trees, noisy because it right by interstate 80, but so much cooler.

I decided to leave early and just head out to my sister's in Castro Valley, I can used their electric for the ac and wait until it cools off before heading back home. I will drive down the 101 because it is cooler than the interstate 5 or 99!

Here's some pics of the petroglyphs and Donner pass:

Hickison Summit






1 comment:

  1. Sure would like to know what the rocks are saying. Maybe a trail?? Pictures Are cool

    ReplyDelete