Thursday, August 13, 2020

Ely Part of the Pony Express

When I got to Wendover, I slowly drained my fresh water as it smelled mildew.  I drink bottled water but I didn’t want Mo or Priscilla to be drinking it.  This morning I went to heat water for my coffee, nothing, what I just filled the propane tank, what happened? It was fine yesterday driving here and this morning nothing. Oh my, so I put on a YouTube video on what I needed to do. After watching it, I thought I can do this. I went outside (watching the dealer's fill the propane tank scare the heck out of me, I didn’t want it to explode) and I opened up the box and looked at everything. The knob was on off and not on, when they filled it up yesterday, they did not turn the knob back on. I turned it on and went back inside to check the fridge, and stove top and yep they both worked.  Another challenge under my belt!  I’m not afraid of propane anymore!😁 I fixed breakfast, washed dishes, packed everything up, put fresh water in the tank and walked Priscilla.  Did the dump station thing and we were off to Ely.  A 2-hour drive. It’s seemed to go on forever, and I got a little nervous because I didn’t see anyone else on this highway!  So, I started counting trucks, and cars. What you do when you are bored.  FYI – until about 20 miles from Ely, I counted 43 trucks, and 72 cars and 1 FedEx van!  When I got to a rest stop, I learned that this was part of the Pony Express.  The rest stop had a great explanation of the roads, highway and the Pony Express. Also, in the 1913 Carl Fisher visionary proposed an highway route from New York to California and would called it the Lincoln Highway. The dream faded and the highways became 40 and 50!

So why am I coming to Ely?  My daughter Tara lives here and I wanted to visit her. We had an wonderful visit.  She is a smart, intelligent and a beautiful person. She's been a real estate Agent for 20 years and is so much a part of this community.  I am so proud of her and her accomplishments.  Just love her so much! My granddaughter lives in Reno so I am going to take Highway 50 (this is called the loneliest highway) and hopefully have a visit with her as well. 

Here's a few pics of Ely:





1 comment:

  1. I'm so thankful tHat you and Tara got to see each other. Life is good

    ReplyDelete