Wednesday, August 12, 2020

From Wyoming to Salt Lake City, Utah to Wendover, Nevada

 What a different a state makes! Crossing the state line into Utah was like stepping into a whole new world.  It was absolutely beautiful.  Green and lush, trees and mountains, damn the road were nicer.  Just before you get to Salt Lake City, there is a ski resort which includes several towns.  Beautiful to say the least, but it’s definitely for the rich and famous. All the places to stay were high end; nothing for the average working person could afford.  I read (on Wikipedia) that skiing in Utah is part of its economy. And when it’s not snowing, they use it for hiking, trekking, mountain climbing and biking. When I got to Salt Lake City, it was a maze, I’m so glad to have my GPS, because I would have never found Cracker Barrel. All the streets are numbers e.g. South 2700 E street, and they have a West Salt Lake City, North and a South Salt Lake City. I got to Cracker Barrel around 1 so I ordered their breakfast, bacon, grits, hash brown casserole and biscuits and gravy. Had it for 2 meals and Mo and Priscilla had some! Mo is liking my food more and more.  He is constantly eating; I wish Priscilla would have ½ the appetite as Mo has! We settle in and of course two class A bus motor-homes pull in right next to me.  No problem but it was 90 degrees and he had his ac on ALL night which meant his generator was on ALL night and it was loud right next to my window. Oh well, that’s the price you pay for a free place to park! Before I left for Wendover, I booked a KOA which is just a rip off (highest price campsite) but there wasn’t anywhere else to camp. Before I left Salt Lake, I needed to get water, propane and gas. So, with my trusty GPS, found a propane place and right next door was a Walmart that had water refill and a few groceries, and my gas buddy app to find the cheapest gas! And then we were off. This state is so diverse, the salt flats are the total opposite environment as the ski resorts.  They had a rest stop at Bonneville Salt Flats where they broke the world’s speed record. First time it was in 1935 Sir Macolm Gabelich speed was 301.13 mph and that record wasn’t broken until November 15, 1965 Craig Breedlove speed was 601 mph, and then in October 1970 Gary Gabelich broke the record with 622.40 mph.  And then that was broken in 1997 with the ThrustSSC driven by Andy Green at 760 mph.

Here's some pics from Utah:








No comments:

Post a Comment