Monday, August 10, 2020

Almost out of Wyoming.......

 I’ve driven over 3500 miles so far.  I have gone from Rawlins to Rock Springs to Evanston. Both Rock Springs and Evanston at Super Walmart’s. This Walmart has a train track right next to it. So, about every hour or so trains are coming through.  Gee, between the big rigs with their motors on all night and then the added effect of trains coming through, not very much sleep.  Oh yeah, then Mo playing time at 4 am😏!  Few mountains, mostly dry desert,  a really harsh environment. I notice a couple of things when crossing the interstate, one was a few signs stating if the lights are flashing you must get off the Interstate.  And they have gates that come down across the highway.  After reading these description and seeing signs for chains, I figure that during the winter, driving on Interstate 80 is much more difficult then now.  Wind is the killer, but I can’t image wind and snow!!!!  I also notice on both side of the highway a lot of barriers, fencing with slates that are horizontal.  They were all over, some in straight lines, others in odd lines.  I was at a rest stop when I overheard a father telling his son that those barriers were for the snow drifts.  Because of the high winds, these barriers allowed the snow to flow through these slates which keeps the vegetation or sage brush visible to the animals.  I read at one rest stop that most of this dry area is a habitat for wildlife.  From November through March these areas are off limits to humans to cut down on the stress of wildlife during the harsh winter.  There are over 150 species of wildlife including elk, and mule deer. In my travels, I have seen one deer cross the road, thankfully is wasn’t hit and a wolf in Yellowstone Park cross the road, pretty amazing.

My next stop Salt Lake City, Utah!  Here's more pictures of Deadwood!







1 comment: