Tuesday, March 25, 2014

My Greatest Fear

I am afraid of a lot of things but mostly because of unknowns. I will start at the beginning as it has been a long month since I have blogged.  I worked on a major report for Head Quarters and I could not open it up the next day so when I went to Baku for my monthly visit I took my computer with me hoping the IT tech at Peace Corps could fix the problem.  He told me no problem, but it was a problem so I left my computer with him.  After a few days they decided to ask DC if they could help fix the problem (now the report was due on the 15th and to date I still haven't heard from HQ but I am getting ahead of myself).  Anyway, I asked to have my computer sent back and my friends at Ag Saray said to send it with their Bus driver they know back to Zaqatala.  No problem yea right, well, there were two computers on the bus and when they got here the person picked up my computer instead of the other one (very strange since my computer is a small notebook the other was a large computer with my name and Ag Saray's name on the box) so I was told, oh it was just a mistake, they will return it.  No problem (I am beginning to hate that phrase "no problem"!). Well, two weeks pass and the holiday pass and still no computer.  I then went to the police department to report it stolen.  Now it is in their hands and hopefully they will find it.  In the meantime, I am borrowing my friends computer and using it but unfortunately all programs were in Russian, I had to ask a friend to switch the programs to English. So about 95% are in English but every once in a while it come up Russian!!

Now back to my fear, I took the responsibility of Mint's kittens because I couldn't find homes for them. They don't care much for animals here and there is no small animal vets in Zaqatala. and it is a long way to Baku or Genja (4 1/2 hours to Genja and I am told the vets there are pretty bad). My favorite cat Snickers who is not the sharpest tool in the shed either fell (or maybe thrown off) the second floor of the house because I found him in my kitchen in the cat carrier I keep in there for them when I am not at home. He was in a lot of pain and could not walk on his back legs.  I carried him into the house and checked him (but I'm not a vet) it didn't look like anything was broken but I wasn't sure.  He did eat and drink but he was in a lot of pain.  I went to my friends office and she saw how upset I was and asked me what was wrong.  I told her about Snickers and she immediately call a friend of hers who is a large animal vet.  He came to the office and went back with me to the house.  He checked Snickers and said that nothing was broken but wanted to give him some antibiotics in case of any infection,  He went to the pharmacy and came back with three injections.  He said he would give him the first one, but I needed to give him the next two (yea right),  Snickers was in a lot of pain but he did not want that shot and the vet looked at me and said he would come back for the next two days and give him the shots.  I did not argue!!  Well it took about a week for Snickers to recover, I had to carry him outside to go to the bathroom and he slept a lot, cried a lot and couldn't walk or jump but slowly the pain subsided and his cries became less and less.  He is doing fine now, he is still limping on one leg but he is jumping and playing again.  I am so thankful to have my friends at Ag Saray they are so kind and help me out so often.  I am truly blessed.  And so is Snickers.

We have Norvuz here, it is like our Spring break back home, so I took the opportunity to go to Georgia and Kansas for a few days.  Georgia was wonderful, I met my PC friends Leah, Carissa and Danny.  Leah and Danny are teaching in Georgia  at Azerbaijani villages.  Leah brought several of her counterparts that are Georgian and we tour the city, saw everything and walked and walked and walked up hills, and down hills and ended up at a wonderful Georgian restaurant with great food and awesome wine.  A couple of pictures:

Me, Leah, Carissa and Georgian Teachers

Trying to figure out what he was doing

Found a Mexican Restaurant in Kansas

OMG it was sooooo GOOD!!!
Life Challenge: Spring is nature's way of saying "LET'S PARTAY" ...... Robin Williams

No comments:

Post a Comment